Saturday, December 23, 2006

Our nation's friendly capital


Satisfied customer, originally uploaded by squiddity of toronto.

Finishing up my Christmas shopping today, I came across this scene in the Byward Market just outside the Bay. Apparently this "Free Hugs" thing is a worldwide internet meme that started in Australia, so not an Ottawa thing, specifically. But Ottawa seems to have, erm, embraced the idea. Lots of people paused to hug the huggers during the minute or two that I watched.

Less appreciated was the guy on Rideau Street in front of the entrance to the Rideau Centre mall, who was wearing an elf hat and playing Christmas carols very badly, and very loudly, and seemingly interminably, on a slide trombone, cheerfully undeterred by people at the bus stop across the street screaming "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" at him.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

Which reminds me...this was the first holiday season since I moved here that the toothless old guy who sang off-key renditions of seasonal tunes and "You Are My Sunshine" in a Santa cap was not at Yonge and Eg...

1:48 p.m., January 03, 2007  
Blogger Cipriano said...

I live here Nadia, right IN the Market area, and yes, I agree, we have our share of umm...... severely musically challenged street musicians. There is a guy that plays this RECORDER [like, is it even humanly possible for a recorder to ever sound good?] and I swear he is so bad.... it brings tears to the eyes. He stands often right in the very spot of the photo you've taken here of the huggers.
Great blog here. Keep it up!
-- Cip

12:27 a.m., January 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home