Saturday, February 12, 2005

Why squiddity?

A little under a year ago, late on a weeknight, I got on a northbound subway train at Osgoode Station. The car was almost empty. I walked up the aisle, deciding where to sit, and as I scanned the vacant seats, on one of them I saw a squid. A raw, fresh squid, about a foot long, greyish and glistening upon the red velour seat, tentacles askew.

At that moment I realized I needed a digital camera, and a blog to post my photos to.

I told Ward about the squid, and a couple of days later he sent me an e-mail headed "The Quiddity of Squiddity", so I have to give him credit for the title. I had a feeling at the time that once I got a camera & started carrying it around, I'd never see anything as great as the squid again. Maybe I won't, but I'll try nonetheless to photograph and post some of the many other things that give Torontopia its essential whatness.

I expect this will be mainly a photoblog, sometimes a links blog. Sometimes a bit of a foodblog, or maybe an academic blog. Check back and see what happens.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When the squid comes again, we will be ready ...

5:25 a.m., February 19, 2005  
Blogger Getthebubbles said...

wow. what an experience. i'm speechless. i wish i could see that!

12:02 p.m., December 01, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just got back from a long stroll along queen west; went into type, the newish bookstore in a block built entirely on top on an old brewery that sits in the swale of garrison creek; anyway, in type, at this moment, there is squid corner: some books on squids (actually, one is about what goes on in our brains when we read; one is about the giant squid; the other i can't remember) and a sea-sheaf of plush squids for the kids. i tell you truly.

3:15 p.m., September 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home