Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Upcoming events

Over the weekend, Kim remarked that it's a bit frustrating that I only blog about events when they're over, and I remembered that part of the original plan for this blog was to notify people about happenings that they might enjoy. So here's a small list of what's up this month. If more things come to my attention, I'll add them later.

~ Tuesday, May 10: Mike Doughty at the Rivoli. MIKE DOUGHTY, PEOPLE! YEAH! I don't get out to nearly as much live music as I'd like to, but there's no way I'm missing this one. Doughty was formerly the singer/songwriter for Soul Coughing, and is now a solo guy with a guitar who does not sound like every other solo guy with a guitar. I'll be there, you should come. Tickets $16 all-inclusive at Soundscapes.

~ Wednesday, May 11: First Scream In High Park volunteer get-together of the year. If you enjoy the Scream and have thought about helping at some events, e-mail the Volunteer Coordinator, Daccia Bloomfield, for details. Helping out at the Scream is generally fun (this will be my fourth year volunteering), and it's going to be a huge festival this year -- they'll need all the volunteers they can get.

~ Sunday, May 15: Room 101 Games at the Drake Hotel. You've heard me go on about this before.

~ Tuesday, May 17: Aaaagh, a conflict! At the Cameron House, Lexiconjury will be on, with a super-special lineup guest curated by Mark Truscott: Gregory Betts, Derek McCormack, and Calgary performance-poetry group TEAM. But sadly, I'll probably miss it (sorry, Mark!). I'll be over in the Distillery District, at Toronto the Good, a fundraiser for Spacing and [murmur]. Toronto's poet laureate will be there! And, rumour has it, possibly the mayor! I'll likely be volunteering. Swing by and buy a button from me, or something.

~ Saturday, May 21st:Toronto Small Press Book Fair. Trinity-St Paul's Centre, 427 Bloor St W. 11 am - 5 pm. Bring a shopping bag and a pocketful of small bills, loonies and toonies... you'll need 'em.

~ Monday, May 23: Trampoline Hall, at Sneaky Dee's. This might be the one guest curated by Alex Pugsley and featuring my brother's girlfriend, I'll have to find out.

~ May 27-29: The 2005 Toronto Comic Arts Festival. In Mirvish Village. Don't know many details about this one yet, but the last one, which happened two years ago, was excellent.

(Edited to add stuff that had slipped my mind)

3 Comments:

Blogger BLAMB said...

hey yeah ... I was going to say the same thing, it's good to hear about what's coming up!

9:50 a.m., May 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am going to say the exact opposite: you're not a news service; i come to this blog to hear/see what you have heard/seen, not what's out there. suggest you not only stick with what's happened, but continue to pick the most incredible stuff/images/events, so that we'll all want to be you and start sharpening our senses ... (just my two cents all)

4:16 p.m., May 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i could have said this much more succinctly: you're the event.

4:23 p.m., May 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home