Sunday, May 08, 2005

Margaret Atwood playing the theremin

Yes, this is a picture of Margaret Atwood playing a theremin. And it's Margaret Atwood! And she's playing a theremin!

I took this last summer at Harbourfront. The band is from Brooklyn and is called One Ring Zero. They solicit lyrics from well-known novelists and then write songs around them. The song Ms. Atwood was soloing on was in fact co-written by her.

Atwood. Theremin.

I was reminded of this picture, and inspired to post it, when I discovered that fellow Flickrnaut Ranjit has invented a theremin-playing robot named Lev. "Lev is made out of an old floor lamp, some plumbing supplies, a few empty mint tins, and some microprocessors." Go look. I'm getting back to my essay now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy pluck.

4:06 a.m., May 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as in, holy unpluck.

4:09 a.m., May 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA! The only other time I've seen a theremin in concert (or rather the only time, since this is just a photo) was Fishbone. This is pretty much the exact opposite.

8:48 p.m., May 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home