Saturday, September 01, 2007

Calm before the storm

Hairy

I was out on the Islands again on Tuesday. I saw these green hairy rocks by the boardwalk, then blundered around in the woods and surprised a little flock of swans in a quiet inlet. It was so shady there, and the swans were so white, that in this photo they look like they're glowing. At first I thought the bit of beach they were sitting on was covered in litter, then I realized it was swan feathers.

Swans

There's not much time left for bumming around on the Islands. It'll get chilly soon, and school starts next week. All the people I know whose lives are tied to the academic calendar have been as twitchy lately as cats and dogs before a tornado hits. You never really feel ready to let summer go. I'm going to try to head out to the beach at Hanlan's Point one more time tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jude MacDonald said...

I love the moss.

11:40 p.m., September 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nadia, such a beautiful picture of the rock.
mom

10:37 a.m., September 12, 2007  
Blogger lumpkin said...

Indeed! It was so quiet, then suddenly BAM! Undergrads everywhere! Not that I dislike them, but there's always so many all at once!

9:16 p.m., September 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home