Monday, September 19, 2005

Fountaineering redux

Pondering
There are lots of public fountains in Toronto outside the CNE grounds, so we decided this week's walk would be another round of fountaineering (the perfect word for it, apparently coined by Liz Clayton). Here, some of our group solemnly ponder the first fountain on the itinerary, on Bloor St.

We walked through U of T's St. George campus to Queen's Park. (I seem to be making a habit of taking photos of people behaving strangely in Queen's Park at night.) There we found these candles burning on a park bench:
Mystery candles
There was a cryptic note on the bench, indicating that the candles were part of some Trinity College frosh-week scavenger hunt type of thing. We took a dip in the Queen's Park fountain, then proceeded down the centre of University Ave., where we splashed around in the big fountain just north of Queen St. Alison is hiding in this picture! Can you find her?
Lurking
We ventured east. A groovy op-art lightshow was playing on the walls of City Hall, perhaps to celebrate the curvy, space-age building's 40th summer. We watched that for a while, then went to the new paving-stone labyrinth behind the Eaton Centre (near the Church of the Holy Trinity), and meandered along its curves before flopping down to rest in its centre. More photos here.

Meanwhile, up on campus, two things have become clear: 1) I really do have an inhuman amount of work to do, and I have no idea how I am going to get it all done on time, and 2) I love my program this year. It's going to be tough, and undoubtedly will drive me crazy some days, but it's also everything I ever hoped it would be. I feel like I've figured out what I want to do when I grow up, and this is it. Better late than never!

3 Comments:

Blogger DJ Caterina said...

You've inspired me to go fountain-eering in Dallas. Thanks!

12:33 a.m., October 02, 2005  
Blogger Nadia said...

That's excellent! Post photos! :)

12:37 a.m., October 02, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please copy me on those photos!

11:03 a.m., October 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home