Monday, August 07, 2006

Dreams of the distant south

Buenos Aires favourites

Now, if you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you know I love Toronto. Nonetheless, sometimes I long to get the hell out of town. Owing to a combination of poverty, busy-ness and poor organizational skills, I haven't done much travelling at all, but lately I've been thinking about rectifying that, and about where I'd like to go.

One of my favourite performances at the dance conference was by a company from Buenos Aires. Hmm, I thought. Buenos Aires. Home of Borges, and the tango! I did some Googling, and uncovered a lot of interesting factoids about the city. It is built around a port, and its citizens are called porteños. Did you know there are more psychoanalysts per capita in Buenos Aires than in any other city in the world? That its university has produced five Nobel laureates, and was the alma mater of Che Guevara? Porteños read a lot & they're all night owls, apparently. I think I'd like it there. It's very far away, and I'm still too busy and broke to go anywhere right now, but a girl can dream.

Other porteño stuff I found online:

~ An amazing online magazine called clandestina. I'm surprised I never stumbled across this before. It has sections on illustration and travel photography, featuring work by artists and photographers from all over the world. Stunning, well worth a look.

~ La 2X4 Tango FM 92.7: all-tango streaming Buenos Aires radio station. These people are serious about tango.

~ A whole lot of really great photos on Flickr, some of which appear in the above mosaic. Links to the photos: 1. mirada, 2. vidrio_roto, 3. Carrera de bondis, 4. "la luz inextinguible", 5. Julio Cortazar, 1914-1984, 6. te extraño / i miss you.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go, girl!
Get out of town.
Do they have academic conferences in yer chosen field?

5:27 a.m., August 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spent about four days in Buenos Aires ten years or so ago. What I mostly remember is that all the buildings were very, very pretty, and the food was really good. Believe it or not, Buenos Aires is an excellent place for pizza. Also there was one ice cream shop that was especially good, though I couldn't begin to tell you where it was. Somewhere near San Telmo, I think.

Anyway, in summary, I would go back to Buenos Aires anytime if I had the slightest excuse.

Road trip!!

-- maggie

3:24 p.m., August 08, 2006  
Blogger Nadia said...

Hey Ward: They probably do, but they would be in Spanish, which would be, um, a bit of a hurdle for me.

Maggie: That would be a looooooong road trip :)

7:42 p.m., August 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Maggie: That would be a looooooong road trip :)"

Yeah, but what a great project for the imaginary Lex van ...

-- maggie

8:07 a.m., August 11, 2006  
Blogger Queque said...

hi! i am the owner of the "te extraño" picture.. i have a blog too..
but its in spanish!!

such a pity..
well, hope oyu liked your stay in here!

byebye!

Gabriel
themostro.

3:57 p.m., December 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home